Saturday, September 27, 2014

GURPS & Wasteland 2

I wish I could live in the alternate reality where Fallout used GURPS (like it was originally going to), and that Wasteland 2 followed suit somehow.

It's a fun game, but really, it gets tiring shooting people in the head and having them keep coming as a matter of course (hey, it's only a round of .30-06), seeing guys running across the map and then stabbing you, or (my personal favorite) having sniper rifles with a 30 meter maximum range (not optimal, not "effective range" but "stand at 31m and I can't hit you.")

I've started fights with a headshot from cover and had the shot guy run up and shoot the sniper at point blank range.

Ah, video games.

Good thing I have my tabletop group playing tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not normally much for realism mods (especially when playing something like Fallout where the enemy snipes me all the time because I have personally have low awareness), but I'd really love to see a realism mod for Wasteland 2. Increase the weapon ranges, reduce HP a bit, normalize weapon damage some so that all the 5.56mm assault rifles do comparable damage... that'd be great.

    Though I'm not really sure how much it would be necessary. I just finished the Mad Monks and started fighting the RSM with M-16s and AK-47s with my mostly 20th level team, and most of the bad guys are dropping in 2-3 shots. I'm barely using burst fire at all, mostly to deal with the higher end robots. So the balance isn't too bad, though there's a couple of points where it's messed up (225 HP honey badgers when you still only have the starting weapons, for instance).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't gotten as far.

      It's not a question of necessary, so much as it's not being so enjoyable for me. Fights are a drag. I've played totally unrealistic games (Borderlands 2 is a big favorite of mine) but here the unrealism isn't a fun adder like it is there. It just makes choices I've made poor ones, fights drag, and eye-rolling moments like the old "run across the map and attack you after the surprise sniper shot" thing just really annoying.

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Peter, you just saved me some money. I can't take that kind of gameplay anymore.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...